Michigan History Magazine
Inside you will find…
- Feature stories about Michigan's fascinating past
- Histories of communities, institutions, and businesses
- Individuals and groups that have left impressions upon our state
- Sites to explore and Michigan history-related news
- And so much more!
Michigan History magazine is published six times a year and offered either as an individual subscription or as part of an HSM membership.
Already a subscriber?
Renew easily online and keep the history coming! Access our renewal process below.
While you're here...
We offer digital access to Michigan History magazine here on our website as a benefit of subscribing. Don't miss out on the latest issue—check it out today!
Inside Our Current Issue
- Making the Muscle Car: John DeLorean and the GTO
- A Fuel Free-for-All: The J. Oswald Boyd Shipwreck
- Beyond the Badge: Chief George Grady
- A Calhoun County Landing Place: Battle Creek Executive Airport at Kellogg Field
- A “Summer Ramble”: Anna Brownell Jameson on Mackinac Island
- Ablaze in the Jazz Age: Detroit’s Study Club Fire of 1929
- Growing Above Ground: Cleveland-Cliffs’ Farming Operations
- Profiles: Peter F. Secchia
- Remember the Time: Father-Daughter Fishing in the Fifties
- Michigan Heritage Home®: Ludington Lumber Company Boarding House
- And much more!
Refer a friend to Michigan History
Are you a current subscriber to Michigan History? If so, don't miss out on our loyalty offer! Open to all current subscribers, we have a continuously running referral program. For every individual you refer to our magazine, we'll gift you an extra issue to your current subscription.
To refer someone, all you will need is to share the name on your subscription account with your friends and family and encourage them to put your name in the referral code area on the general magazine subscription form. We'll take care of the rest!
Calling All Photographers!
Michigan History magazine's popular Back Cover Photo Contest is back and is now accepting photo submissions. If you or someone you know has a passion for photographing our state, check out our Back Cover Photo Contest page for details and submission guidelines.
Can I purchase back issues?
Yes! We offer single-issues purchases of Michigan History magazine from 2010-present in our online store.
If you'd prefer to order over the phone or have questions, give us a call at (517) 324-1828 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I get a single article scanned?
We can provide article scans for issues prior to 2010, but scans may not be posted online or shared. Historical Society of Michigan members receive a limited number of free scans. Scans for nonmembers who are magazine subscribers are $10 per scan. Scans for nonmembers are $20 per article. To inquire about scans, please email us at email@example.com.
Do you have printable gift cards for gift subscriptions?
Yes! If you've purchased a gift subscription for someone, you can download a printable gift card here.
Do you have an option for international subscriptions?
Yes! For all international inquiries, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (517) 324-1828.
I have a subscription. Can I upgrade to an HSM membership?
Yes you can! All Michigan History magazine subscribers can upgrade to an HSM membership and continue to receive Michigan History magazine in addition to the following benefits:
- Chronicle magazine
- FREE access to History Hounds® weekly lectures
- Participation in Michiganders on the Road® motorcoach tours
- Discounts on conferences and History Skills Workshops®
- And more
To upgrade your subscription to a membership, call us at (800) 692-1828.
Accessing Michigan History through the Michigan Electronic Library (MeL)
Text-only access to Michigan History articles published since 1998 is available through The Michigan Electronic Library (MeL). This service is for Michigan residents only and requires a driver’s license number. Access MeL copies of Michigan History here.
Get the most out of Michigan's history
There's more to our publications that Michigan History magazine--did you know that we publish Chronicle magazine too? With a Historical Society of Michigan membership, you can receive our popular Michigan History magazine AND our quarterly Chronicle. Plus, you'll receive multiple extra benefits including weekly access to free History Hounds lectures, discounts on workshops and conferences, and much more.
We'd love to help! Reach out to our general HSM staff at email@example.com or by calling (517) 324-1828 for subscription-related questions.