Help the students involved in Michigan History Day!
Michigan History Day is a yearlong academic program for 4th to 12th grade students to help them build critical thinking skills and confidence for higher education, the workforce, and leadership roles. By participating in Michigan History Day, students become writers, filmmakers, web designers, playwrights, and artists as they create unique contemporary expressions of history. The experience culminates in a series of contests at the local, state, and national levels. While all student participants benefit from this rigorous academic and cultural experience, proven supplemental academic gains play a big role in helping students in our state catch up and reach their life potential.
Your sponsorship helps involve more students and teachers and keeps the program cost affordable. You can become a general donor to support the entire program, make greater outreach possible to students and teachers in your geographic area, or sponsor a special award for a historical topic you are passionate about. We also offer college and university information table sponsorships at the annual State Finals event. Explore below to learn more.
Michigan History Day students are motivated, organized, and dedicated—exactly the types of students any college would want to have on their campus. The State Finals is an excellent opportunity for colleges, universities, and organizations across the state to speak with our stellar scholars to share what their school has to offer. Join the nearly 20 Colleges and Universities who have sponsored information tables at a State Finals.
Interested in sponsoring a table? Please email us at email@example.com.
Special Awards Sponsors
Are you a member of an organization that is passionate about history? Would you like to encourage students to research an aspect or category of history that interests you? Consider sponsoring a special award for the Michigan History Day State Finals. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
2022 Special Awards
- Best Use of Economic History or Impact • Sponsored by Huntington Bank
- Best Entry in Michigan History • Sponsored by the Meijer Foundation
- Best Entry in Naval or Maritime History • Sponsored by the Continental Commandery of the Naval Order of the United States
- Elly Peterson Award for Michigan Women’s History • Sponsored by Michigan Women Forward
- Sam Breck Award for Best Entry in Railroad History • Sponsored by the Michigan Railroad History Conference
- Best Entry in Use of Newspapers • Sponsored by the Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University
- James Campbell Award for Best Use of Oral History • Michigan Oral History Association
- Best Entry in Use of Primary Sources • Michigan Archival Association
- Best Entry in Use of Family History • Sponsored by the Michigan Genealogical Council
- Best Entry in African-American History • Sponsored by Merze Tate Travel Writers
The winners of the 2019 Best Entry in African-American History pictured with the sponsors of the prize.