Certify Your Farm

The MCFA does not certify farms for Centennial Farm Status. That is done by the Historical Society of Michigan (HSM). For more information on applying for Centennial Farm Status, please visit HSM’s Centennial Farm Program page.

The Centennial Farm Program is administered by the Historical Society of Michigan. The Centennial Farm Program recognizes farms that have remained in the same family for 100 years or more and highlights the farm’s contributions to Michigan’s development. In order to be designated as a Centennial Farm, a property must be a working farm of 10 or more acres that has been continuously owned by the same family for at least 100 years.

If your farm meets the aforementioned requirements, we encourage you to apply for certification. To apply for Centennial Farm status, please visit the Centennial Farm Program at the Historical Society of Michigan.

Items that will be required include:

  • A completed and signed Centennial Farm Application.
  • Documentation (deeds, mortgages, or land contracts) to establish the family’s continuous chain of title.
  • A copy of a recent tax bill to evidence the current ownership of the farm.
  • Photographs of the farm buildings, structures, and a few overall views of the farmstead.
  • A non-refundable $95.00 application fee, which includes the cost of the sign.

Once a farm is certified  by HSM through the Michigan Centennial Farm Program, the owners will receive a certificate as well as a display marker for their farm. The official green-and-yellow markers are sponsored by Michigan electrical utility companies to commemorate the dramatic changes electricity brought to farm operation and family life. The family also receives a one-year Joint Membership with the MCFA and the Historical Society of Michigan.

The Historical Society of Michigan also offers a Sesquicentennial and Bicentennial Farm Program to recognize, upon request, certified Centennial Farms that have been owned by the same family for at least 150 or 200 years, respectively.

Please visit HSM’s apply/order page to apply for Centennial, Sesquicentennial, or Bicentennial certification or to order replacement markers.