Museum

In 1980, Marilla Museum and Pioneer Place began in the lower level of the Marilla School that was built in 1920. The school was no longer used beginning in 1948. The upper level is now used as the Township’s government and community center.  Beginning in the early 1990s, a great deal of expansion began.  Over a period of 12 years, the museum grew to include a beautifully restored two story 1870s log home, a large 1900 barn, and a full-size replica hunter-trapper logger’s cabin.  Each home is fully furnished and reflects early rural pioneer living.  The Pioneer Barn contains many farm machines and implements, displays representing Marilla’s rich logging history, and other items relating to the communities early formative years.

Take a look around! Click on a photo for a detailed description of each historic building.

Miss Ritchie

Among the many things on display at the museum is the original “Wildflowers of Orchard Hills Farm–Marilla  Township” botanical book. This is an amazing localized botanical study, complete with detailed scientific  information, personal comments, poetry, and pen and ink drawings finished beautifully in water color.  This treasure was accomplished by Miss Evaline Ritchie during a period of three years between 1929 and 1932. Miss Ritchie taught in Marilla Township in the early 1920s and 1930s.

Copies of Miss Ritchie’s book and selected botanical water color prints are available for sale.  We also are offering a beautiful 2013 Miss Ritchie calendar. To order any of these products, visit our museum, contact Director Jan Thomas at (231) 362-3430 or boja@kaltelnet.net, or fill out and mail us this order form. Please note that there is an additional charge for mailing.